I got an automated email the other day warning me that this blog (which, I’ll allow, has been dormant for some time now) was at risk of being deleted unless I posted something post-haste! So, in the interest of keeping this collection of vegan recipes on the Internet, here’s a lovely little Ethiopian-inspired dish I made last night, recipe courtesy of my decidedly un-Ethiopian (and totally not vegan) friend Chris.
Spicy Peanut Eggplant Stuff
4 tbs olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1.25-2 lbs of eggplant cut into cubes
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce and/or a tomato (very finely chopped) and/or 2 tbs. tomato paste (add water if using tomato paste)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or Bere Bere, an Ethiopian spice mix)
1/2 tsp ground or freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 c smooth peanut butter
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat till dissolved.
2. Add onion and sauté for 7 miunutes or until wilted.
3. Add garlic and eggplant and reduce heat to low; sauté for 10 minutes or until eggplant is golden/soft.
4. Add tomato sauce (or whatever), salt, sugar and spices and simmer for 5 minutes. Probably add more salt.
5. Add little dabs of the peanut butter all around sautéeing mixture until all peanut butter is in the sauce; let it warm up till peanut butter is melty, then stir in until smooth.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors, and serve over your choice of starch (In Ethiopia you’d probably use teff. Chris prefers thickly cooked cream of wheat. We used cracked wheat last night and it was good too)
And speaking of “staying alive”, did I ever tell you about that time Tom and I were walking across a street in downtown Manhattan and this woman walking toward us made the “V for Victory” sign and sang “Vegan for life. Go Vegan!” It was definitely something.
Anyway, that should be enough to keep this blog in “business” for another 18 months. See you in 2014?